Photo: by Dini Bruinsma, Turmi Challenge photo
Please take a minute and visit her wonderful website
This was enjoyable! This challenge was to make a piece of jewelry inspired by a picture. I had seen where other artist had done this, but I myself, in 25 years of making jewelry had never tried it. When I saw the picture, I thought immediately of some bone beads I had. Guess what? I didn’t use them! They were the right color but when I started pulling out what I had in my stash they weren’t going to fit into the balance of things.
What I did settle on was the bone and silver tone brooch that I used for the pendant. I had bought that brooch in the early 1990’s the clasp had shirred off, ;-( I really liked the bone in it. I always thought I would redo it in sterling. I’d get it out periodically and put it on the bench to do something with it, then it would get put away. So when I saw the picture I knew the time had come to use it. I decide to bezel it with seed beads . The matte metallic khaki iris Miyuki seed beads had the shades of browns, golds and purples I saw in the picture. I found the tricky part was using the red. I wanted to incorporate it but I found it easily became a jarring element in the design, so realizing when there was just the right amount was a challenge. But finally I was satisfied, just enough red for a little excitement.
The second element I was excited to use was the copper tubing. It is a vintage piece age unknown. I know it is no longer used in construction. They use aluminum pipe now. When dear husband was cleaning up the outside of the place we live in now, he had buckets of metal that he separated out to sell for scrap.’ I spied with my little eye’, (LOL!) this piece of tubing sticking out of one of the buckets,. (MINE!) so it has sat on the shelf waiting patiently for it’s time to come :-). So out came the torch and the saw. Cut mangled part off, then cut to length, oops! too long for the design I had in mind, cut again… Ahhhhh that’s it! sand rough edges got to feel good to delicate skin. then torch until crisp several times. cool sand some, rub with car wax buff to a glow… Viola! ready for use 🙂
Pulling everything together in the strand part of the necklace that too had it’s challenges . I really love the way that they stack the silver bracelets on their arms and legs. Wire wrapping the copper tubing was one way that I could emulate that , but I thought the silver beads used intermittently with the Miyuki beads supported the look. I also wanted to incorporate the red in the neck part so the eye would be drawn upwards, but it took doing one side and then discarding it and restarting another to be satisfied. It just needed touches of the red to keep things interesting and cohesive. Finish off with a handmade clasp.
All In all I really enjoyed the experience. As I explore other challenges I’m hoping to grow as an artist. That feeling of expressing whats deep inside, isn’t always about what is the most marketable, but making something that please the unseen part of you and is also visually inviting to others. Thank you Dini Bruinsma for such an inspiring picture and to BSC for opening the door.